I have heard so many people tell me that they never have time to have breakfast. I still can’t get used to that statement because for me breakfast is the most important meal of the day and when I have it I have it like the true queen that I am! The great thing about breakfast is that it’s not a hectic meal and it can usually be ready in 10 minutes depending on what it is you choose to eat. Let me help you break this breakfast thing down.
Everyone should have breakfast, whether you are young, old, fit or unfit.
It entirely depends on the individual in question but something filling and balanced with all the nutrients is advisable. Depending on time you can really go all out and make a :
- Full English Breakfast (I usually prepare this on weekends when I have time and I will be full till lunch time on this);
- Fruit salad
- Sandwiches packed with different crunchy bits such as bacon, cucumber, chicken, lettuce, red onion the works!
- Omelette which can include a whole range of fresh vegetables and meat.
- Breakfast cereal though I don’t eat it myself because it is highly processed and most of it is packed with sugars. I prefer whole grain cereal specifically oats because these keep me fuller for longer.
*I strongly recommend that you cook for yourself; that way you are in control of what you eat and what you put in your food.*
When you have time then by all means have your breakfast from the comfort of your home. A nice and relaxed environment will make you enjoy your food even better. However; if you are like me and are almost always late for work then by all means pack a lunchbox that you can have from your desk come tea time. Make sure you at least have a fruit before you leave the house; or when you get to the office. It’s completely up to you but please eat something healthy.
Below are some of the reasons why it is important to eat breakfast:
- Fuel! I work out A LOT and it would never make sense for me to skip meals because how will I have the energy to exercise?
- Reduce the risk of starving and over eating later on. I know this from experience. If I eat right in the morning chances of me craving or snacking till lunch time are close to none.
- Weight management.
- Focus. When you are full it’s easier to focus on tasks at hand. You definitely won’t be spending your time thinking of what you can eat.
- Save. I for one can tell you that ever since I started packing a lunchbox or having my meals from home I have saved quite a bit of money. You would never see me buying a sandwich for $1.50 in Pick n Pay even if my life depended on it!
According to researchers skipping breakfast can cause fat to form around the belly; which increases the risk of disease…Now tell me why you would want to miss breakfast??